Saturday 13 March 2010

Writers on writing - plus Graham Linehan is JUST FUNNY

I don't think real writers like giving rules for writing. Only "screenwriting gurus" and people who think they're writers like going on about rules for writing. I don't know who this man is, but he looks like he might be prologue-ing for some rules.

I just the watched Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe Screenwriting Special again. It's ace. And anyone who's interested in scriptwriting should watch it. It's not about rules, but instead features a bunch of very successful TV writers answering some simple, but revealing questions about their processes.

And before any of you weird, freaky Brooker-haterz start moaning about Brooker being on it, he's actually very downplayed in this, and pretty much just asks the questions... I say just, but I know how hard it is to make an interview run smoothly AND get interesting answers from interviewees, so nyuuuuuuur you Brooker-haterz. Stop hating Brooker.

I love hearing about artists' creative processes. If I had to sum it up in one line, I'd probably say that being an artist is about making decisions. Having ideas is one thing; but making decisions about what to do with them is the clincher. And I guess the processes by which you make those decisions is what makes your practice. And because I'm not one for all that rules business, I'm a big fan of pick-and-mixing creative processes from different disciplines. How would you light this show if it was a film? How would you structure this story if it was a song? What would Spielberg do? etc

Going back to Screenwipe... on top of being properly inspiring, it's also not at all po-faced. And Graham Linehan is JUST FUNNY. Everything he says is funny. Even when he's not saying anything funny, HE is funny. It reminded me how funny his blog is. I mean, the fact that I now know that this clip exists, even makes a trip to IKEA hell on a Saturday bearable.

The writers interviewed are: Paul Abbott, Russell T Davies, Sam Bain & Jesse Armstrong, Tony Jordan and Graham Linehan. Even if you don't like their work, you can't argue with their success, so it's interesting to hear what they have to say. Plus, Graham Linehan is FUNNY.

No comments: